Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Back to School, Really and Truly

It's 5:30 in the morning. I've come down from the third floor loft to start Mark's morning feed. He'll be getting on the bus at 8:15, so reverse the math and it equals extremely early. When I come down to his room he's already awake. We're not sure when Marky wakes up, cuz he lays there so quiet. He's quiet until he hears foot steps and then the rolling laughter starts. By the time I get to the side of his bed he's in hyper-laughing mode.

I wonder if he knows what's going on. We've been telling him for the past week or so that he's going back. I wonder if he knows. He sure seems happy this morning. The truth is we just don't know what does on inside his head. It might be so simple, then again it might be simply awesome.

I have been praying with Mark lately. I pull up a stool beside his bed and wrap my hand around his and just start talking to Dr. Jesus. He's more than a medical doctor, Jesus has his PHD in everything. As I pray I believe Mark prays with me. It's not like he's making up sentences in his head. It's more like when he talks to me, it's love gu gues. So how could something like that have any power? Well, God is love... duh!

Faith is such a personal thing. How I imagine God may be very different than how you imagine God. However, how God really is, is not limited by either and even if you think the concept of God is a ridiculous notion, it is possible that he exists beyond your understanding. Therefore, while faith waivers, God is constant.

So, when we pray what does God hear. Does He hear luv gu gues or does He hear whining? What we pray can't be that important. I don't really believe that Sovereign God requires my instruction or that like a candy machine he grants every wish. I think what is important is how we pray. I believe that prayer is a form of meditation. It is a time for us to consider things we don't understand. As we do this, if we mix in what we know about God from the Bible, we can begin to think of things differently. Our thoughts, our prayers begin to align with his patterns. It is in that moment, when our prayers take on agreement with the Creator, that the words become powerful enough to move mountains into the sea. When Mark prays gu gue luv, I think he's there.

Morning prayers with Marky the mighty little prayer warrior, it's my favorite place to be.

1 comment:

pilgrim said...

Great to hear such positive news! May God continue to bless your family this fall.